Cardiff isn’t a place Burnley have ever enjoyed much. It is now nine visits since the Clarets have tasted victory in the Welsh city, writes James Bird.
Last time out
Away draws were a rarity under Eddie Howe, just four in total, but last season Cardiff City Stadium saw one of them. Cardiff were looking to get back into the play-off places but failed to test Lee Grant all day. Ross Wallace and Martin Paterson had chances for the Clarets in a poor first half but David Marshall kept them at bay.
Cardiff City 0 – 0 Burnley. 18 March 2012. nPower Championship
One for us
The Clarets last won at Cardiff in April 2000. They were 2-1 winners that day at Ninian Park as Steve Davis and Andy Payton got the goals. The home side’s goal came courtesy of an Ian Cox own goal. Burnley would do the double over the Bluebirds that season with Claret players scoring all six goals as Mitchell Thomas scored an own goal in another 2-1 win at Turf Moor.
Cardiff City 1 – 2 Burnley. 01 April 2000. Division Two
One for them
A game where nothing occurred for the most part until it came alive 15 minutes from time. Jay Boothroyd put Cardiff ahead on 74 minutes before Darren Purse played Robbie Blake in with a terrible backpass for Burnley to equalise on 84 minutes. Ross McCormack would seal all three points for the home side though with a late brace in the final five minutes of time.
Cardiff City 3 – 1 Burnley. 13 April 2009.
Head-to-head at Cardiff City
Cardiff City – 21 wins, 72 goals.
Biggest win – 7-0, 01 September 1927.
Burnley – seven wins, 43 goals.
Biggest win – 0-4, 24 October 1960.
Draws – 12.
- Six of the last seven league games between these two sides have ended in a draw.
- Burnley have no wins in nine league and cup games against the Bluebirds.
- Burnley last beat Cardiff at Turf Moor, when Steve Jones and Paul McVeigh scored in a 2-0 win.
- Both league games last season ended in a draw. Burnley lost in the Carling Cup at Cardiff.
- Cardiff City are 12 league games unbeaten at home with seven wins and five draws. They were last beaten by Hull in March.
Will we see another draw? Or will one of the side take all three points? Let us know what you think in the comments.